Thursday 16 August 2012

How to Speed Up Our Metabolism Naturally

Metabolism is ‘your body's process of converting food into energy’ *.  As we age our metabolism tends to slow down. What actually occurs is we lose muscle mass as we age and our fat levels increase; as we age, we also tend to slow down in our activities and I am not sure why that is. It could be that adults get busy with raising families and make less personal time. It could also be related to the busier work schedules so many of us keep. Not a great thing to read, eh (classically Canadian!)? But don’t worry, there are things we can do that will natural boost our metabolism and here is what I found on my Google quest regarding this topic:
First and foremost is our activity. I know that it is hard to work in a consistent exercise routine because I personally struggle with this each and every week. We know that if we stay active we contribute to staying healthy longer. Exercise will help us maintain muscle mass which in turn keeps your body burning the calories you take in efficiently.

Eat regularly, starting with breakfast and throughout the day to keep your blood sugar levels balanced. Food deprivation, in my opinion, is the number one reason why so many people make bad food choices.  I know for myself that if I have not kept my usual food regime throughout the day, I am inclined to go looking for a bag of chips, or a white bread sandwich or even a chocolate bar. If I have not gotten up and had my usual shake with fruits, almond milk, hemp hearts and acai berry puree (and whatever else I have on the go), had my morning raw veg snack, a lunch that includes whole grains with veg and plant based protein, that by 2pm or so, I go rummaging through my purse looking for coins for the candy machine in the staff room at work. I found this site a good source of information on what food deprivation causes: http://www.whyfoods.com/foods-health-food-deprivation-dangerous.php 

Keep white stuff out of your regular intake. This means White sugar, white flour, white rice and all processed products that have the ‘whole’ parts removed. Once again, Livestrong.com has valuable information: http://www.livestrong.com/article/491213-no-white-stuff-diet/ . I spoke with Dr. Yoni Freedhoff MD, CCFP recently and he does not restrict his patients from certain foods, just guides them to make better choices. If pasta made with durum semolina is what they prefer, than as long as it is served within the calorie count he suggests for a meal and it is not something they indulge in every day then it is okay. My points is, if you do enjoy traditional white pasta, then have it sometimes and enjoy it for that moment, just don’t make it a part of your daily intake.

Well here is another week of vegetarian and vegan recipes. Let us know what you might like to see on a menu and we will do our best to accommodate with recipe testing. 

Have a fanastic week,


Thanks for reading,

Laurie & Lyndsay

No comments:

Post a Comment