Friday 8 June 2012

Detoxing of Diet Soda - Blog 1


Ok, I am writing this at 6:24 on Saturday, June 2nd and I am up thinking,
today is the dreaded day! The day I have pegged for another Diet Cola Cold
Turkey Day. I remember the first time I had a diet soda. It was more than
32 years ago when I was in Junior High, possibly even earlier. Family
friend was a diabetic and it was the only think other and water and milk
that was ever in the fridge. It really did not taste all that great, but
every year it seemed to taste better. Off I went to High School where diet
cola was readily available in the cafeteria and so I believe the addiction
began way back then.

The daily consumption continued thru college, then working for many years
in restaurants and bar. If popgun had an IV attached, I would have been in
heaven! I had a tall glass going at any given time, sometimes 2 or 3 at
different stations. I consumed so much that the urgent trips to the
washroom during service were put off until there was a lull in customer
traffic, ultimately damaging my bladder. There were times after a double
shift, where my feet were so swollen that I hobbled around my home. Not to
mention swollen fingers, toes and ankles. All of this and yet I just
continued drinking and drinking and dealing and dealing with the side
effects.

Thru the years I have tried to wean myself off diet cola and literally
every time, I was just one can away from right back where I started,
drinking many ounces a day. I have even lasted as long as 6 months, but
ultimately I would break down and savour every last bubbly drop!
So today, I will pass by the pop dispenser at the office and avoid fridges
in gas stations and food stores just so to keep my willpower strong and my
cravings at bay.

Laurie Brennan

No comments:

Post a Comment