Sunday 14 October 2012

More About New Vegetarian Foods....




I just got back from another ‘food show’ business trip to Toronto. The Grocery Innovations Show is a tradeshow for Food and Consumer product manufacturers, equipment, technology and service providers to exhibit their wares to manufacturers, brokers, wholesalers, distributors and government. My initial walk thru was  to establish which booths were of interest to me on behalf of Signature Foods ∣ Natural Gourmet, the company I work for.  After the quick dash through the aisles, I sat down in the comfy hip wireless lounge, made my list and set out to discover new things and gather lots of information.

You would think that in this day and age, suppliers, manufacturers and producers care about sustainability and offering their customers alternatives and better options. I was saddened by how little I actually came across, booth after booth. I approached a reusable bag company who boasted Canadian made products when asked. As I stood staring at a plethora of colours and prints, I inquired as to which bags were from Canada, the reply was ‘we have one bag, it comes in black only and is more expensive than the others.’ Not much information was offered other than this and in fact had to confirm that the bag was customizable. There was no promotion of why one would consider the purchase of a Canadian bag, how using a Canadian product lowers carbon footprints, supports our own economy etc... It appeared that this one item was there just so this company could say they offered Canadian content. 

On the topic of bags, I was also looking for paper bags for our artisan bread program and I wandered into the booth of the only paper exhibitor at the show which was an American company. We are good trade partners with the US, so of course this did not deter me. Although this company offered a display of bags that included an eco line, I was given a package of information. The sales representative apologized for knowing very little about this specialty product and directed me to check out the website. I appreciated his integrity in that he told the truth, but really?

I have to say that it was quite a change from the Canadian Health Food Association show from the week before. It is very interesting now that I look back at both tradeshows and compare the focuses of each. We have the select, less affordable natural food world and the show that feeds into the mass market.  One promotes health and wellness in many of the foods offered, endorsing the eco packaging, using post consumer recycled fibres, vegetable dyes and the sort. The other, not quite so! 

On a more positive front, I did come across a few booths that I think are worth mentioning:

Mrs. McGarrigle’s Fine Mustards
A cottage industry business that has blossomed from a one woman operation, to a successful retail store in Merrickville ON, an additional store in Warkworth ON and with more than 300 hundred retailers across Canada carrying her products. Mrs. McGarrigle’s offered handmade, all products made in her own production kitchen without using any preservatives or additives.  Visitors to this booth were greeted by a warm friendly representative of the company who was very proud to advocate the selling features people like me want to hear.



Mom Brands 
A family run Cereal Company that has a history of cereal making that goes back to 1919 in Cannon River MN. Their innovative, ‘bag the box’-free packaging caught the attention of larger retailers offering better quality products in larger formats for a lower price.  This company has social and environmental principles which I believe is why they are winning awards for quality, value and innovation. This is definitely a company worth reading about http://mombrands.com.  



Seasnax
“A nutrient-packed roasted seaweed snack which is vegan, gluten free and Non-GMO Project verified. It is made using 100% olive oil and just a pinch of sea salt.”  As I am a salty snacker, these are right up my alley! Seasnax is a socially conscious company that “believe it is important to contribute 10% of our annual net profit to non-profit organizations committed to making the world a better and gentler place for our children and our earth.” www.seasnax.com. Not local to me, but definitely worthy of writing about, and they taste great!



Nude Fruit
Although Zast Foods, the company behind Nudefruit was not at the show, I met with Ryan Pennie, one of the principals and I was particularly impressed with his new product.  It is a frozen fruit product that offers local Ontario fruit at the same price as the other brands containing fruit from far away. Eye catching packaging along with plans to offer more than the present 5 skus, I truly hope that this product makes its mark on the retail industry. http://zast-foods.com/Products/Nudefruit/0/0/0

There were a number of other booths that I thought were of interest and as I see these products on the market, I am sure I will find a need to share them with all of you at some point or another. If you have found a product you think we should know about, send us an email and share it!

Happy Cooking!

Laurie & Lyndsay

No comments:

Post a Comment