Sunday 14 October 2012

New Vegetarian Goodies to Share!


This past weekend was the Canadian Health and Food Show (CHFA) in Toronto ON Canada. I was there on behalf of the company I work for, Signature Foods ∣Natural Gourmet and I was looking to pique interest on some of our products to distributors and brokers outside of our reach. It was the second time I had attended this show and it was a great time and I discovered some great new products. This newsletter is a departure from what we often present to our readers, but I thought it might be a welcome change. 

The first product I wanted to share with you is a Toronto company called Sweets From The Earth Bakery.  This company did not have a booth at the show, but let me tell you as I walked the aisles with SFTE Vice President Marc Kadinoff, I realized that the natural food world know his product and love it! Lyndsay and I discovered this vegan dessert company years ago while shopping in a natural food store in Toronto’s east end neighborhood Bloor West Village. Lyndsay bought a GF Chocolate Caramel Pecan Bar for us to share after our take out sushi we were on our way to pick up. well...Lyndsay couldn't wait till sushi time and ate the bar before we reached home, and not a morsel for me!  Long story short, Sweets From the Earth was the first product I brought to the Ottawa market under the company I work for.  Check out their website www.sweetsfromtheearth.com and if you are lucky enough to live in a city where this product is available, go out and sample my favorite  the Gluten Free Cashew Cookie or their best selling Peppermint Nanaimo Bar!


Last year, Lyndsay had emailed me information about Field Roast Grain Meats. I had done my research and thought they sounded interesting. I had not tasted them until this show. I was absolutely amazed at their flavour profiles, the texture and the presentation; so much that I am very interested in discussing business with this company. I was also very impressed to learn that they use Alberta Hard Winter  Wheat, are very loyal to this product, and as a Canadian, this made me proud. Check out their website http://www.fieldroast.com for more information.



A new product to the natural food market in Eastern Ontario just over a year ago is the Enerjive Quinoa Crispy Thins  http://enerjivefood.com/products-2/quinoa_snack_crisps/ . This product was brought to the market by Naturopathic Dr. Joel Villeneuve and Healthy Food Advocate Korey Kealey from Ottawa ON. I discovered this healthy snack at last year’s show and it will be coming to a Canadian City near you very soon. You can also shop online and have a few boxes sent to your home.



Now for beverages, Krisda Natural Soda was on my radar before I arrived. I had tasted this stevia sweetened beverage last year and had recently been speaking with the sales and marketing coordinator about one of their other products, Stevia based, Krisda Baking Formula for a new project I have on the go at work.  In addition to the soda and the baking sweetener, the also offer  flavoured coffee sweeteners, water enhancers and sweeteners. This company has taken the bitter aftertaste that often accompanies stevia.  Not often that I am impressed with a product, but http://www.krisdasweetener.com is certainly one I would recommend you look for. 



If you have a new product you think our subscribers would like to hear about, send the information along and we will do the research! I am heading to the Grocery Innovations Canada tradeshow this coming week and let’s hope i another new item or two.

Happy Cooking,

Laurie and Lyndsay

No comments:

Post a Comment